EdenTree (Corporate Activity)
SRI / Ethical Overview
We are active members of the UK Sustainable Investment and Finance Association (UKSIF) and have developed key partnerships with other bodies in this field. These include the UK Stewardship Code, UNPRI and IIGCC. Through those different organisations we collaboratively engage with companies in all sectors on a large variety of ESG issues.
EdenTree Investment Management (EIM) supports the principle of considered voting and will consequently endeavour to register and vote its proxies at all meetings in which it has a shareholding.
Our responsible ownership strategies apply to equity and fixed interest assets in all geographic regions.
SRI Policies (Primary strategy in bold)
- Alcohol production excluded This filter helps you to find ethical funds - and other options - that avoid investment in alcohol production. See fund literature for further information.
- ESG/SRI engagement Find funds and fund management companies that actively encourages higher 'environmental, social and governance' and/or 'sustainable and responsible investment' practices amongst investee companies - when positive change is aligned with the best interest of investors. This may apply to a single fund or a group of funds. Read fund literature for further information.
- Responsible Ownership policy for non SRI funds Find funds run by fund managers that apply Responsible Ownership or 'Stewardship' policies to all or most of their investment assets. This means that active involvement (e.g. voting, dialogue) with the companies they invest in across funds (not normally limited to ethical or SRI options.) Read fund literature for further information.
- Integrates ESG factors into all/most fund research Find fund management companies that research environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues when deciding whether or not to invest in a company. This typically applies to all funds, not only those which are promoted as being 'ethical' or 'SRI themed'. This is increasingly often used as a risk management tool.
- Vote all shares at AGMs/EGMs This fund manager always votes the shares they own at annual general meetings (and extraordinary general meetings). This is a key indicator of 'responsible share ownership' and companies taking an interest in the future of the companies they part own.
- In house responsible ownership/voting expertise Find fund / fund management companies where there is in-house expertise that enables the fund manager to make their own decisions on issues such as shareholder voting, setting of in-house guidelines - for example - particularly with regard to environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues.
- Responsible Ownership/ESG a key differentiator The fund managers have said they consider this area to be a key differentiator for their business
- UK Stewardship Code signatory Find fund managers that are signatories to the FRC UK Stewardship Code, which sets out a framework for constructive investor / investee relations where fund managers are encouraged to behave as responsible 'company owners'.
- Publish Responsible Ownership/Stewardship report Find fund management companies that publish information on their approach to responsible investment ownership - also known as 'Stewardship' - following the introduction of 'the Stewardship Code'. This sets out their approach to voting, dialogue with company management and any related activity. This is publicly available.
- Publish full voting record Find fund management companies that publishes a full record of how they vote at AGMs and EGMs. This information is publicly available.
- Review(ing) carbon/fossil fuel exposure for all funds Find funds / fund managers that are reviewing or have reviewed their exposure to carbon intensive industries including (but not only) mining, oil and gas companies. This work is being carried out in the context of climate change related concerns, and may often reference international agreements.
- Regularly lead collaborative ESG initiatives Find funds managed by fund management companies that regularly initiate or help run industry wide (collaborative) investor projects aimed at raising environmental, social and governance standards amongst investee companies.
- PRI signatory Find fund management companies that have signed up to the UN backed 'Principles of Responsible Investment' initiative.
SRI / Ethical Policy
Through our membership of UNPRI, IIGCC and additional partnerships we collaboratively engage with companies on various issues. Those include climate change, sustainable agricultural practices, labour conditions in the supply chain and more specialised issues including fracking, Arctic drilling and modern slavery. We also lead engagement initiatives on our own when we believe this adds value, those include controversial weapons, sustainable sourcing practices or stem cell research. Our engagement initiatives also complement our voting policies such as recent work on gender diversity at Board level.
Resources, Affiliations & Corporate Strategies
We have a SRI team of three people responsible for the execution of our SRI policy; they focus on research, engagement and proxy voting.
All UK proxy voting decisions (includes Guernsey, Jersey and Isle of Man) are taken and executed in-house, signed off by a Fund Manager. We take IVIS (Institutional Voting Information Service) provided by the Investment Association to inform thinking. We have appointed Glass Lewis & Co. to be our sole discretionary research and proxy execution provider in all jurisdictions other than the United Kingdom (including Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man), delegating to it the responsibility for the instruction and execution of international proxy voting at all general and special international company meetings.
The team shares responsibility for company engagement, whether it is in house or in partnership with SRI organisations or other investors.
We are members of PRI, UKSIF, IIGCC and regularly support industry wide responsible stewardship initiatives.