Impax Environmental Leaders (SICAV/Offshore*)
SRI / Ethical Overview
The Impax Environmental Leaders (Ireland) Fund seeks to achieve sustainable, above market returns over the longer term by investing globally in companies active in the growing Resource Efficiency and Environmental Markets. These markets address a number of long term macro-economic themes: growing populations, rising living standards, increasing urbanisation, rising consumption, and depletion of limited natural resources.
Investments are made in companies which have >20% of their underlying revenue generated by sales of environmental products or services in the energy efficiency, renewable energy, water, waste and sustainable food and agriculture markets.
SRI Policies (Primary strategy in bold)
- Environmental policy Find investment funds with environmental policies - ie that consider issues such as pollution, climate change, resource management, environmental impact. This will include options from all of the different SRI Styles, including funds where their core strategy is to focus on other areas such as ethical funds. See fund information for fund specific policy details.
- Human rights Find funds that consider human rights practices when approving companies for investment. Such funds will require decent standards of human rights to be demonstrated - which typically means adherence to international norms as a minimum standard.
- Norms focus Find funds that use internationally agreed standards, conventions and 'norms' to help direct where the fund can and cannot invest (e.g. the UN Global Compact, UN Sustainable Development Goals). Read fund literature for further information.
- Positive selection bias Find funds where their main 'ethical approach' is to invest in companies that are considered to be positive/good or useful to people and/or the environment. The fund may also have negative avoidance criteria - see fund details to read more about fund strategies.
- Negative selection bias Find funds where their main 'ethical approach' is to avoid companies by using negative screening criteria. Read fund literature for further information.
- Sustainability themed Find funds where there is a significant emphasis on sustainability issues either as its primary strategy or as a core strategy that compliments other criteria. (This may apply to a number of different SRI Styles). Such funds will consider environmental and social issues when making stock selection decisions. Read fund literature for further information.
- Favours cleaner, greener companies Find funds that aim to nvest in companies with strong environmental policies and practices. This may mean it invests in smaller companies offering market leading environmental services or products and/or larger companies that are working towards the improved management of their negative impacts. Read fund literature for further information.
- Favours companies with strong social policies Find funds that invest in line with positive strategies that relate to 'people' issues - such as having strong human rights, labour standards and equal opportunities practices. Such funds are likely to invest in companies that have market leading standards with regard to employee and supplier practices. Read fund literature for further information.
- Faith friendly Find funds that have attributes that commonly suit the aims of investors of faith - although they may not be specifically marketed as being only for religious investors. Strategies vary (as do investor aims). Read fund literature for further information.
- Boutique/specialist fund manager Find options offered by smaller, more specialist fund management companies with a significant (or entire) emphasis on sustainable, responsible, ethical, ESG or responsible ownership related investment strategies. Note - strategies vary significantly. Check fund manager supplied links for further information.
SRI / Ethical Policy
Impax Environmental Leaders Fund is solely focused on investing in Resource Efficiency and Environmental Markets. The Fund applies a positive screening approach to companies operating within these diverse high growth markets.
The Fund also has revenue exposure hurdles in place for certain business activities: tobacco, weapons, gambling, animal testing of cosmetics, adult entertainment and alcohol.
Fossil fuel assets do not come into the opportunity set of this fund.
Resources, Affiliations & Corporate Strategies
We are members of, or signatory to the following:
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment (UNPRI)
- Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (IIGCC)
- Investor Network on Climate Risk (INCR)
- Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP)
- UK Sustainable Investment and Finance Association (UKSIF)
- UK Stewardship Code
- Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN)
Impax Asset Management has also been awarded a Queen’s Award for Enterprise: Sustainable Development, the UK’s highest business accolade for business success.